Town of Breckenridge Colorado
The town of Breckenridge is an international destination for travelers world-wide to come and frequent, and for good reason. With our dry climate and range of outdoor activities, Breckenridge offers perfect alpine conditions for the ski and snowboard enthusiasts. Here in Breckenridge it’s all about the number 300: the town enjoys 300 days of sunshine each year as well as 300 inches of snowfall. That’s enough to make anyone want to visit!
- Winter Temperatures: 28 degrees daytime. 15 degrees night time
- Summer Temperatures: 70-80 degrees daytime. 50 degrees night time
- Average days of sunshine per year: 300
- Average annual snowfall : 366 inches of snow
It’s never too crowded in Breckenridge for the locals that live here year-round. The population is low during the off-season times, but does peak for the tourists that visit in both the summer and winter.
- Breckenridge: 3,535
- Summit County: 28,296
Size of The Town of Breckenridge
Breckenridge is known as being a quaint mountain resort town that has a wonderful Main Street that is home to boutique shops and restaurants.
- 7 miles long, 2 miles wide
- 5.3 square miles
- 2,200 developed acres
- 1,100 undeveloped acres
- 41 acres of town-owned parks
Breckenridge Tourism Statistics
Here are some fun statistics to know about the town of Breckenridge.
- Restaurants and Bars: 76
- Shops and Boutiques: 203
- Liquor Stores: 5
- Grocery and Convenience Stores: 5
- Historic District: 249 Structures
- Hotels, Inns and Bed & Breakfasts: 501
- Number of pillows: 20,002
- Condo units: 2,583
- Condo beds: 5,000
- Hotel units and bedrooms: 436
- Hotel beds: 800
Amenities in The Town of Breckenridge
Breckenridge has museums, a library, and of course the world famous Jack Nicklaus golf course for golf enthusiasts to enjoy. If skiing isn’t your thing, there is plenty to do to keep you entertained while visiting our resort town.
- Dentists: 5
- Medical Clinics: 5
- Pharmacies: 1
- Golf courses (public): 1
- Skating rinks (public): 1 year-round, 3 winter
- Tennis court facilities (public): 2 indoor, 12 outdoor (summer)
- Museums and art galleries: 18
- Libraries: 1
- Fitness Facilities (public): 2
- Ball Fields: 3
- Soccer Fields: 2
- Public Parking Lots: 13
Breckenridge Mountain Statistics
There’s plenty of outdoor terrain to explore here in Breckenridge.
- Base Elevation: 9,600 feet / 2,926 meters
- Summit Elevation: 12,998 feet / 3,963 meters
- Vertical Rise: 3,398 feet / 1,036 meters
- Total Ski/Ride Terrain: 2,908 acres / 1,177 hectares /
- Operating Since December 16, 1961
- Groomed Daily: 600 acres / 241 hectares (29 percent of total terrain)
- Bowls: 1,061 acres / 429 hectares (35 percent of total terrain)
- Terrain Parks: 25 acres / 10 hectares
- Snowmaking: 600 acres / 243 hectares
- Number of Trails: 187
- Longest Trail: Four O’Clock – 3.5 miles / 5.6 kilometers
Things To Do in Breckenridge
Breckenridge is home to world-class skiing and is home to 155 ski runs on five peaks: Peak 6, Peak 7, Peak 8, Peak 9, and Peak 10. The Imperial Chair lift found on Peak 8 is the highest in North America at 12,840 feet above sea level. Two Nordic ski areas offer superb cross country skiing. Dog sledding and snowmobiling are other favorite winter activities.
If snow isn’t your forte, then the summers are for you. Breckenridge has an average high in the 70’s with a nice crisp average low in the low 40’s. With the endless variety of terrain, rivers, and scenery, folks enjoy river rafting, kayaking, paddle boarding, boating, water skiing, mountain biking, hiking, and more activities in the summertime. It’s a cool respite from the heat and draws many to come enjoy it’s serenity. The sun shines bright in the summer, so sunscreen is recommended for all temperatures.
You won’t lack for a bite to eat while living or visiting Breckenridge. There are currently 76 restaurants and bars throughout this quaint town which is one of the draws of this great mountain town. Intermixed with plenty of unique shops, Breckenridge’s Main Street is a great place to visit after a day of play.