Colorado Carbon Monoxide Law
What is the Law?
In Colorado, it is mandatory to have a carbon monoxide detector within 15 feet of every sleeping area for all properties that are sold, repaired, remodeled, or rented after July 1, 2009. Sleeping areas include any place where there may be sofa sleepers, such as in a loft or in a basement. It is acceptable to have a combination smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector. You may have either a hard-wired detector, or the type that plugs into a wall and runs off batteries.
When selling a home, it is a very good idea to have CO2 detectors in place before any showings ever occur. Many Colorado lenders will send appraisers that will require to see all carbon monoxide detectors installed at the time they come to perform the appraisal.
What are Sources of Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is a poison gas with no odor, is colorless and tasteless, and can be fatal when inhaled. It is produced by burning fuels from heaters and appliances. Gas fireplaces and furnaces also emit the gas. Although some Summit County properties may not have any of these fuel sources, some residences are still required to have CO2 detectors. It’s always better to err on the side of safety.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms
Systems of carbon monoxide poising start with minor headaches, nausea and vomiting, sleepiness, fatigue, and/or dizziness. More severe symptoms include elevated heart rate, throbbing headache, and confusion. Extreme exposure may result in unconsciousness, brain damage, convulsions, and/or heart and lung failure and even death.
If a carbon monoxide alarm is going off or someone is experiencing any of the systems of CO2 gas poisoning, get out of the home into fresh air and call 911. Never assume an alarm going off is a false alarm! In 2008, Colorado experienced fatalities which initiated House Bill 09-1091 to become a law requiring CO2 detectors in all rental units. Don’t be the next victim!